|This page is a Stub|
|Further content needs to be added. For changes please drop a note to the webmaster.|
History of the Heroic Era use of the area
1910-13 British Antarctic Expedition or Terra Nova Expedition. Leader: Scott. Ship: Terra Nova. Built the Cape Evans Hut, also built new hut at Cape Adare (now ruinous) and re-used Borchgrevink hut there. Re-used the Discovery Hut.
1914-17 Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition - Ross Sea Party. Leader Overall: Shackleton but he was not the Ross Sea area. The Ross Sea Party used ship Aurora. Re-used the Cape Evans Hut and also re-used the Discovery Hut.
Conly and Harrison (1995:132) record that much of the debris around the hut was cleared between visits in 1972 and 1974.
Archaeological investigations include Neville Ritchie and Alexy Simmons in 1987, Ritchie again the following two summers, assisted by David Harrowfield in the second. Roger Fyfe completed this period of work in the 1989/90 summer. Ritchie and Fyfe returned in the summer of 1994/5. Major conservation work was undertaken on the hut in 2007/8.
The site is protected as ASPA 155
Antarctic Heritage Trust page and virtual tour 
Conly M and P Harrison 1995 Send for the artist. Random House, Auckland.
Harrowfield David L. 2004 Archaeology on Ice: a Review of Historical Archaeology in Antarctica. New Zealand Journal of Archaeology 26:5-28.
Ussher, J and N Watson. 2010 Still life : inside the Antarctic huts of Scott and Shackleton