Canterbury Heritage - Discontinued
Canterbury Heritage Journal
The primary blog for Canterbury Heritage no longer exists in the web. This page has been left as indicating the past content.
Canterbury Heritage is the only journal devoted exclusively to the province's social history and cultural heritage.
The journal offers new perspectives on and insights into the past, through stories that may be well known, or may have been ignored, or erased from the public record.
Published in the eleven most commonly spoken languages by Cantabrians.
Conforms to the AA certification standard of the World Wide Web Consortium's Web Accessibility Initiative in providing accessibility to people who are blind or visually impaired.
22% of the journal's readers are outside of New Zealand.
The collections of Canterbury Heritage currently include more than eleven thousand hard-copy publications and an extensive information system of digitised documents.
But what is probably the most significant contribution to the historical record is a four dimensional virtual model of the city of Christchurch from 1849 to date.
The basis of the model is a collection of more than eight thousand digitised views of the city. These restored and geo-tagged images include photographs, maps and works of art, etc.
Approximately thirteen hundred photographs are added each year, thereby affording increasing accuracy to the model.
Accordingly, Canterbury Heritage is a recognised authority on the identification of historic images of the city. As such it regularly provides assistance to a wide range of museums, libraries and galleries throughout Australasia.
This service is also available, without expense, to private individuals. Please contact the Editor  if you have photographs, etc. requiring identification.
Among recent research identifications made by Canterbury Heritage are the locations of:
The probably extant 1849 dwelling of the founder of the Canterbury settlement 
The 1851 Armagh Street East site of Christchurch's first house 
The extant 1856 Union Bank building in Cashel Street West 
The extant 1857 Cookham House building in Colombo Street North 
The extant 1863 Foley House in Hereford Street East 
The extant 1864 Congregational Chapel in Manchester Street