Butler Point Whaling Museum
The historic area that the museum is part of includes an historic house, a pa site and the whaling museum. The house was that of William Butler who operated a whaling supply depot at the site. The house has been restored and is an award winning one. The museum is in a modern building and displays many whaling and other artefacts. Some are from excavations at the site. This is a private museum, established in the 1990s by the owners Laetitia and the late Lindo Ferguson. Appointments must be made to visit the site.
The store site has been the subject of an archaeological excavation by Auckland University, (see Butler's Point), as has the pa site (by the Department of Conservation).
The house is registered with the Historic Places Trust.
- Lindo who died in 2014 was an outstanding citizen of Auckland who in addition to a distinguished professional career served in a wide range of local government and other roles particularly taking an active interest in heritage conservation. http://www.surgeons.org/member-services/in-memoriam/lindo-ferguson/
- H. Hanson Turton, 1882, Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-TurOldP-t1-g1-g1-g1-g36-t1.html Accessed July 2010
- Mogford, Janice C. 1992 The Butler House, Mangonui 1847-1990. Privately published, Lindo Fergusson
- See http://www.historic.org.nz/TheRegister/RegisterSearch/RegisterResults.aspx?RID=447 accessed July 2010